A lot of restaurants are all bark and no bite. They are full of too much hype and not enough flavor. From food trucks to hole in the walls to 5 star establishments, I'm here to answer the question on everyone's mind, "Is it really that good!" I am not an Iron Chef let alone a line cook. I'm just an ordinary girl who loves to eat extraordinary food.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Slater's 50/50



Lately I've been seeing my friends on Facebook 'checking in' to this establishment claiming this place has the BEST burgers.  After checking out their website and seeing all of the different types of burgers, I decided I had to try this out. The menu offers Slater's Signature burgers, sandwiches, salads and a build your own burger option which allows you to select any and all toppings you want. At first I thought Slater's 50/50 was just a name and didn't really know why it was named that until I read the menu. Sure you can pick a beef, turkey, or veggie patty, but why would you go to Slater's 50/50 and not pick their signature patty? 50% ground beef and 50% ground BACON!!! Now I got it!!!

Let's start from the beginning.  To drink, I got a strawberry/chocolate shake. They filled the glass to the top and like most places, they give you the extra in the container they make the shake it. The shake was thick enough to eat the entire thing with a spoon. I drank, or for me ate, everything that was in my glass, and the reserve container. For starters, we got the Deep Fried Pickles, Sweet Potato Fries and the Slater's Vampire Dip. The Deep Fried Pickles were served with ranch dipping sauce. They were fried nicely but the breading soaked up too much oil and the pickles they used were a little too sour. The Sweet Potato Fries were just okay. They weren't sweet enough and the pumpkin sauce they serve it with didn't complement them either. Then we got to the Slater's Vampire Dip. It is a mixture of garlic, cheese and artichokes nestled inside a bread bowl surrounded by deep fried pita chips.  The taste of garlic and cheese were dominant flavors and it had just a slight taste of artichoke.   Deep fried pita chips worked perfectly with the dip, as opposed to thin tortilla chips that are normally served with dips. The dip was thick, gooey and so delicious!!! This is one of the best appetizers I've eaten.  It was so good that when the dip was all gone, I started pulling apart the bread bowl just to get the last remnants of the dip.

For my burger, I got the Hawaiian Burger. It is a 50/50 patty topped with a medium fried egg and American cheese all sandwiched in between white brioche bread spread with baconnaise (as if there wasn't enough bacon flavor in the patty, right??) You'd think that with so many toppings  you wouldn't be able to really taste the burger. WRONG.... The burger was sweet from the teriyaki marinade. It was surprisingly juicy and you can really taste the bacon inside the patty. The pineapple was grilled to bring out the sweetness. Besides the patty being different from any other burger joint I've been to, the bread also stood out. It wasn't your normal sesame seed or plain white bun. The bread was made of brioche, but was soft and sweet. It wasn't too thick where all you tasted was bread but thick enough to hold form and withstand all the components of the burger.

I have to mention that I did take a bite of their Peanut Butter and Jeallousy Burger. I could understand the jelly part. It's like eating cranberry sauce with your turkey, but peanut butter??? After tasting it, besides feeling like how a dog would feel after eating a spoonful of peanut butter, it wasn't bad. The peanut butter wasn't lathered on as I thought it would be. It was definitely different. I didn't hate it, but wouldn't recommend it.

For dessert I got the Bacon Brownie. I've heard that this is the 'new' thing to try so I ordered it. When it came to the table it looked more like thick chocolate cake with frosting. It was accompanied by vanilla ice cream so I thought it was going to be served warm. It wasn't. I tasted it without the ice cream and it was dry. The only place I could taste the bacon was the bacon they used to top the frosted brownie. Other then that, it wasn't anything great, it wasn't even good.

Overall we had a really good meal. The service was good and prices were reasonable. The only location is in Anaheim Hills but if you really want to taste a really good burger, it is worth the drive. It is definitely a place I would go back to.

6 comments:

  1. What an awesome post! As a fellow food lover I always find myself asking, "Is it really that good?" The pictures made my mouth water! You are the perfect person to gather the facts and share the truth with the rest of us. I will anxiously await your future reviews!

    Great job Margarita!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this all looks too good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. schurr91 Vic
    I been to slaters and tried the pb & j burger. i agree with you lose the jelly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @school boy and vic- can you please subscribe and follow publicly? Thanks! ~MV

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to make the trek to Slaters!! Teriyaki marinaded beef with an egg topping..mmmm. I would have not known about this place if I didn't read your blog.. I look forward to more discoveries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. okay, the vampire dip was awesome! the hubby wasn't too sure about it, but i convinced him and he really liked it too! my burger was so good...1/3 beef patty, pesto goat cheese, roasted red peppers, grilled onions, balsamic vinaigrette...YUM! i tried my burger on the focaccia bread and it was WAY too thick...it was like having 2 buns, which i do NOT need. had to eat half of it open face because i was filling up too quickly. good bread, but i will go back to the honey wheat bun next time!

    oh, and the bar is open now...so the place was PACKED!!!

    ReplyDelete