A lot of restaurants are all bark and no bite. They are full of too much hype and not enough flavor. From food trucks to hole in the walls to 5 star establishments, I'm here to answer the question on everyone's mind, "Is it really that good!" I am not an Iron Chef let alone a line cook. I'm just an ordinary girl who loves to eat extraordinary food.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Buttermilk Truck

I’ve been waiting a while to be able to try this truck out. I’ve heard so much about them.  Their lines are always ridiculously long and if you’re not there at a decent time, they will run out of food. (Which happened to me at the San Gabriel Valley Food Truck Festival) So I was excited when I found out they were going to be in Pomona, CA on a Saturday night. I made sure to plan my day around the time they were going to be there. When  I finally got there, the line was already starting to form, but there were only 10 people ahead of me. After waiting about 30 minutes, it was finally my turn to order. **Feet clicking in my head** They were serving the late night menu and I ordered everything on there but the apple cinnamon donuts.

Hawaiian Bread Cinnamon French Toast Sticks- These weren’t too sweet. It had a nice crunchy batter but it tasted like it was fried in the same oil as the chicken.  It’s served with a few dashes of powder sugar. Adding just a little syrup gave it the sweetness it needed. This is something that wouldn't be on my regular order. Although it wasn't bad, it just wasn't that great.

Fried chicken with cinnamon waffles- (not pictured) This dish comes with 3 fried chicken tenders and a cinnamon waffle. The waffle was folded over and already had syrup inside it. I didn’t know and added syrup on top. It didn’t make a difference only because it was so overpowered with cinnamon. From the couple of bites I did take, it was soft and fluffy but not too thick. It wasn't crispy like a Belgian waffle.  It just had too much cinnamon in it for me to enjoy it. The chicken on the other hand, was cooked and seasoned to PERFECTION! The chicken was juicy and it had the right amount of breading to make it crispy. One of the best fried chicken tenders I’ve had.

Hawaiian bread breakfast sliders- Portuguese sausage, sautéed onions, scrambled eggs in between Hawaiian rolls. This was good. How can you really go wrong with these ingredients. I think it needed a little mayo or some sort of spread. Shoyu mayo to go with the shoyu scrambled eggs, perhaps?  I would have preferred my eggs to be over easy, but this was still a satisfying sandwich, but it’s something you could make at home if you were craving it.


Red Velvet Chocolate Chip buttermilk pancake bites- My love for red velvet anything  is the reason why I was following this truck. I’ve heard so much about these pancake bites. When I first looked at them, they were red. Duh, right? You’d be surprised at how many “red velvets” look brown.. So right off the bat, I knew these meant business. I ate one without the cream cheese/butter mixture. It was pillowy soft, not too chocolatey, and made perfectly. The added touch of the chocolate chips was different. It wasn’t bombarded with the chocolate chips so each bite that I got with them added a nice sweetness and taste. The next one I ate was with the cream cheese/butter mixture. It wasn't too sweet like frosting. It made it taste even better! These were the perfect size and were really good. They are even better than most of the red velvet cupcakes I’ve had. I would order them every single time!!! BTW, I ordered one to go and it’s still as yummy the next morning. Just pop it in the microwave for a little bit and you are good to go. Now if they can only make these little things in hot chocolate form...

Buttermilk brick- hash browns, 2 eggs over easy, buttermilk biscuit and chorizo gravy. The chorizo gravy wasn’t runny. It was thick and peppery and just was full of flavor. The hash browns still had the fried texture despite the gravy flowing over it. When you cut into the egg and the yolk breaks open, it just adds a little smoothness and a little bit of sweetness to the dish. I think the  bread was just there as a broom to sweep away any of the remnants of food that were too small to pick up with your fork. Well, that’s what I used it for anyway. This by far, was my FAVORITE dish.

So guess what happens as soon as I take a picture of the truck? A food blogger's nightmare!! My camera runs out of battery!! Wonderful.. How the heck am I going to do my review with no pictures?? LUCKILY, they did another event a couple of weeks later by my house. I ordered the same exact thing.. I guess it was a good thing my camera ran out of battery!

I definitely recommend this truck. BELIEVE AND TASTE THE HYPE! Next time I will order the apple cinnamon donuts and coming soon are their homemade banana pancakes with homemade granola. Can't wait to pay them another visit!!!

2 comments:

  1. OMGosh the red velvet pancake bites!!! You had me at cream cheese butter!!! I want to spend a day eating from a dozen different trucks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Buttermilk definitely exceeded my expectations. Probably my favorite truck so far.

    ReplyDelete