A lot of restaurants are all bark and no bite. They are full of too much hype and not enough flavor. From food trucks to hole in the walls to 5 star establishments, I'm here to answer the question on everyone's mind, "Is it really that good!" I am not an Iron Chef let alone a line cook. I'm just an ordinary girl who loves to eat extraordinary food.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Four Kegs

Four Kegs is a sports bar and casual dining restaurant in Las Vegas, NV about 15 minutes away from the strip.  I heard about this place through The Food Network. Guy Fieri featured, Four Kegs’ Stromboli  on his show,  Diners, Drive-ins and Dives' "Classics" episode.

Stromboli is defined as “a type of turnover filled with various cheeses and Italian meats.” The stromboli is very similar to a calzone. The difference being the shape of the dough. A stromboli looks more like a roll and a calzone is crescent shaped like a big empanada.

There were 6 different types of stromboli offered but I ordered The Original. Inside was ham, sausage, pepperoni, salami, tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. There were slits cut across the top of the Stromboli to help it bake evenly but these perforations also makes it easy to cut into and not ruin the form of the entire stromboli.  This is perfect for someone who doesn’t like the end pieces, where the filling to dough ratio is the least; or for someone who doesn’t want to eat it like a burrito but would rather eat it in smaller portions.

I went for the middle piece.  When I cut into it I saw the various meats inside and I wondered if I was going to be able to taste each component of the stromboli.  After I took my first bite I was able to taste each specific type of meat used.  With all the different types of meat it comes with one would also think that they wouldn’t be able to enjoy the crust, but you can.  The crust had a buttery flavor but did not taste or feel oily.  It was crispy on the outside but when you bite into it the dough it is soft in the inside. The sauce also had the right amount of sweetness to it to compliment the saltiness of the meats.  The stromboli had the right amount of cheese and surprisingly the mozzarella wasn’t chewy. It had a soft texture and smooth consistency to it, similar to melted Monterey Jack.  My tummy was satisfied after 3 pieces. Anymore than that and I would’ve popped the button off my jeans.

Overall, I liked it. The only thing I would do next time would be to ask for a little more sauce. This isn’t a place I would go to every single time I’m in Las Vegas, but it is definitely a go to place if you are craving a well-made stromboli.  On a side note, for those who are super sensitive to cigarette smoke, this might be something you’d want to order to go and eat in the car, because the second you walk in you can really smell it.

No comments:

Post a Comment